Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Living at Home

By living at home, I mean living in the same city as the rest of our family. By living in short driving distance to both sets of grandparents and cousins, Henry gets lots of special family time. Which is exactly what we want, we want Henry to have a close relationship to his extended family members.

First, Kyle and I had our first night out. Henry spent the night with the Smith grandparents. Of course, I cried as we drove away. It didn't feel right leaving Henry. Not because he wasn't safe or loved at the Smiths but because he wasn't with us. He is our family and we are not complete without him.  So Henry had a very successful spend the night with DeeDee and Grandpa.  They, of course, loved it, all the quality time with Henry and then they are so sweet to ask when can we babysit next?  So what did we do for our first night out?  Well, we went to the amazing wedding of our friends Lauren and Ross! What an amazing party! It was a beautiful ceremony full of family and tradition. The cocktail hour and following reception was filled with delicious food and lots of dancing. Our one picture of us all dressed up ended up a little blurry but we have great memories and it was nice to see K in a tux.

Second, Henry went on his first hike.  Well sort of. His first hike was in utero. If you don't know, Jojo likes to be active and she is always recruiting various family members to join her in this outdoor activities.  So Henry's "first" hike was when I was eight months pregnant. Jojo was technically hiking with all four of her grandchildren. Yesterdaty on our hike, we were laughing at the funny things all the kids said. Elizabeth complaining about how the walk was too long. Thomas agreeing with her. John William being the trooper, muscling through the hike.  So from the hike in November



Henry's cousins didn't make the hike this time, Elizabeth might be saying a prayer of thanks. But Henry (thankfully) slept through most of the hike.  He made it almost to the top of Little Kennesaw before crying. But it was nothing a little milk couldn't cure.  I think we are going to need to a more serious baby carrier when Henry gets heavier.  Apparently they make ones specifically for hiking.  So Henry had his first real hike. Hard to say if he enjoyed it but Henry did slept cuddle next to his mom for almost the entirety, so how bad can that be? I know Jojo looks forward to more hikes in the future as all of her grand children get older.  


And now we have just returned from a music and singing class with Henry's cousins and Aunt Tina. We are so lucky to be surrounded by loving, supportive family.  

LPS


2 comments:

  1. This is so true! Family is great! Also, if you are looking for a hiking back pack for babies/infants/toddlers (you can put them in all the way up to 40 pounds I beleive), look at Kelty Kids. They have been GREAT for us! We did the Bjorns, then moved on to the Kelty Kids :) LOVE that you are so busy and taking full advantage of your maternity leave! That time just goes by too fast! 9 weeks until I am a full time mom-countdown is ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kels! so excited for your full-time mom count down. I know that you and the boys are going to have an amazing time. I know that it is going to be hard going back to work but I am enjoying my extended maternity leave. Kelty kids, thanks for the recommendation! The moby wrap worked great but not much longer as Henry gets bigger and bigger!

    ReplyDelete